Trivia In The Garden: Night Out in Phnom Penh
Trivia in the Garden happens every Wednesday night from 7:30pm to 9:30pm at the Willow Boutique hotel near the Independence Monument. The one hour event is centered around a series of trivia questions which would be asked by the host. The group who gets the highest score wins the pool prize money.
We found out about this social event through Bart’s friend, William, a Burmese who has been living in Cambodia for 5 years. He invited us one day and we obliged, curious to what the event has to offer. Our group for the night consisted of 7 people (and this was the maximum people required) from different nationalities. We had a British, an American, a Burmese, a Chinese and us two Malaysians.
The quiz is a popular British past time where people would go to bars, drink and take part in the event for a chance to win the prize. Before the quiz started, each group was given an answer sheet and a photo. We were to provide our group name and write down the funniest caption for the photo. Each person would then need to pay USD$2 which makes up for the pool money and prize. There were 8-10 groups that night and all of them were scattered around the lobby area while the host made announcements from the bar. So much competition!
Here’s how you play the game
- There were 5 rounds altogether.
- The first round is a series of general knowledge questions from politics, war and history, geography, current affairs, language, pop culture, etc.
- The second round was the ‘Connecting’ questions where the answers would be connected to form the final answer at the end.
- The third round was the ‘Tabletop’ which was a series of photo clues.
- The fourth round was the Music where we had to listen to snippets of songs to guess the song title and artist.
- The final round was the ‘Knockout’ with another series of general knowledge questions. The only difference for this round is that one wrong answer would get you a zero score for the whole round even if your other answers were correct. So its besto to only write down answers that you’re 100% certain is correct.
We attended the Trivia in the Garden twice and on both occasion did not manage to win because these other groups were serious in competing weekly. The same group had been winning for 6 weeks in a row! They must have very good brain power or extremely smart. Besides the pool money there was also a chance to win individual prizes with bonus questions. All in all it was a fun night with new friends and a chance to experience a British scene here in Phnom Penh.
Address: Willow Boutique Hotel, Garden Cafe & Bar, House 1, Street 21, BKK1, Phnom Penh
Phone Number: +855 092 553 743
*The place could be packed so it’s best to contact the hotel for seat reservations or come early for dinner while waiting for the game to start.
About Yafieda Jamil
A Malaysian girl currently working abroad in Phnom Penh city. I love a good road trip, hot cappuccinos, spicy food and staring at old buildings. My mission is to inspire people to see the world differently before we all get any older. Oh and giraffes are the most beautiful creatures on earth.